5/15/2007

Job Hunting Sucks.

For the past couple of years, I've had the benefit of never having to worry about where or when I would work for the summer. I was full time babysitter for four years. I never had to job hunt, since even that job was found for my by my mom ( I was 15 and they were friends of the family). I've watched my friends hand out stacks of resumes, thinking, "How hard can it be?"

Really. Really. Really. Hard.

My biggest problem is that since I was a nanny for four years, I have no practical experience. Wait, let me rephrase. I have loads of practical experience, I can change diapers, manage temper tantrums, cook with a baby on my hip, navigate the subway with a stroller, bottle feed, put to sleep and generally take care of anyone. What I do not have is retail or restaurant experience. No one really cares if I can carry around a 20 pound screaming baby while convincing it's six year old sister that me reading her a book right then would not be possible. I need to know how to make a mocha frappachino in under a minute, or be able to convince someone that the shoes that don't really fit are worth their exorbitant price tag.

What I want is for someone to hire me. Preferably full time, though part time is totally awesome too. I had a job interview to be a page with the Toronto Public Library, but I don't think that it's even worth my time since I would only be working 6-10 hours a week. I can work that much babysitting, have more fun and be able to go on vacation. If I were to take that job, I would have to get at least two other jobs as well, and I'm already working Sunday's.

The bright side of no job means lots and lots of knitting time though!

No comments: