Dear Secret Pal,
This is my first time participating in a big swap like this, but I had a lot of fun with the pirate booty swap, so I'm excited. Here are my answers to the quiz! I'm glad I heard from you!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not much of a yarn snob in terms of content, it mostly just has to be soft. If it's squeekey or scratchy or looks like that shreded plastic stuff you get in easter baskets then I probably won't like it.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a needle case that my grandmother made for all my straights and longer dpns. I store all my shorter dpns, circulars, crochet hooks and notions in a make-up case which I carry with me every where. I don't know why I feel it's neccessary to carry needles around that have nothing to do with my current project, but I do. You never know when you're going to buy some yarn and need to cast on right away!
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned the baisics when I was about 7 from my mom, knit for a while and then lost interest. In grade 10 (which was 4 years ago) I decided to knit myself a pair of leg warmers, so went with my mom to the LYS and taught myself how to knit in the round and have taught myself since then. I would say I'm an Intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do have an Amazon wish list. I'll send you the email I use for it if you ask for it.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I'm not very picky about scents. Strawberry and Vanilla are good bets though. Nothing to oppressive.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Do I ever! I like a lot of stuff, I'm not very picky. I like any of those sour gummy things, in any flavor. I love going to candy stores and making a huge bag of candies with 3 or 4 from like 25 different bins. That way you never know what you're going to find!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I like drawing and sewing. I would like to learn to spin, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm also going to start scrapbooking my travels this summer, and make a big book of what I've done. I'm going to try and do much more art this summer than before.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love music and my taste isn't too specific. My favorite bands are currently The Postal Service, The Stars, Metric, Missy Higgins, Death Cab for Cutie and Garbage. I also listen to some pretty obscure British bands, like Trademark and The Schla La La's. I have a random soft spot for Ashlee Simpson, Jesse McCartney, Aqua and Prozzac. One of my favorite CD's is the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. I'm currently listening to Cyndi Lauper and Madonna. Make me a CD of everything, you never know. Yes my computer and my CD player play MP3s, though that doesn't really matter anyways.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love blues and purples, most of my yarn and clothes are blue. I try to branch out, but I'm just drawn to those colours. The only colours I'm really picky about are orange and really bright greens. But everything else is welcome.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am currently living with my parents and younger brother. During the school year (September to April) I live in a dorm at York University.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats and mittens. I have knit a poncho, but I don't wear it very often and I don't think that I would wear a second. Plus I'm a little undecided on their attractiveness.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I have yet to discover it.
13. What are you knitting right now?
The monkey bag from Stitch 'n Bitch, and i-pod cozy, a sock, a scarf... other things I've forgotten about.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like circular needles for their versatility, but I don't mind what material they're made over. I think that bamboo works best for socks though.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own neither.
17. How did you learn to knit?
My mother taught me the basics and then I taught myself the rest from books and online.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I think it's 8 months old. I have only just started having more than one project on the go at once recently.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Only what I find interesting.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any subscriptions, but I have been buying Vouge Knitting off the shelves recently. I would really like A Gathering of Lace to make a shawl for my grandmother, any of the yarnharlot books and the Bazzar Bizzare books.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would love to learn to spin, and do the kitchener stitch properly.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a new sock knitter. My foot it 9" long and are a bit wide. I generally wear a 7 and a half or 8 shoe. More consistantly and 8 though.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
My birthday is June 18 and I will be legal! (hahahahaha! Natalie wins!) This is by Canadian terms though.
I hope that this was usefull, if you have any more questions fell free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you.