8/04/2009

How High? Knee High!

Michigan, not being a close place, demanded some exceptionally simple knitting. I am incredibly prone to nausea while in a car, so I plan these things wisely. I haven't actually been sick in a car for years, but I think that is more to do with me knowing what I can and cannot do while in the car rather than it going away. If I look down to read for more than half a page I have to take a wee nap to make the sick feeling go away.

But enough about carsick! The drive is about 7 hours each way, so it needs to be big-ish. I deliberated for ages on what to bring, finally deciding on a pair of knee socks. I bought a skein of STR lightweight in Gingerbread Dude about a year and a half ago. I believe that it may have traveled with me to Wales when I was there, but never got used. Part of the problem was that I had seen someone else (Laura I believe) knitting hers up and it wasn't coming out the way I thought it would. Some how I imagined it with more white. Someone did point out to me that gingerbread men are more ginger than icing, but it didn't change my mind much.

When we got a skein of Quilla in the shop I snapped it up. I am knitting the cuffs, heel flap and toe in the white, and alternating two rounds of Gingerbread with one round of Quilla. I am totally digging it. I think they will look excellent with my red boots in the fall. I got as far as the heel flap in the car on the way back. Now it's next to my computer for when things get slow on the internet.


The other sock is my one finished Lakeside Stocking which I started way back in February in California out of Malabrigo Sock. I got as far as the end of the calf decreases before realizing that it was just too small, so I ripped the whole thing out and started again on a 2.5mm instead of a 2.25. One thing I changed from the pattern was to knit 12 rounds of 1x1 rib, then knit and eyelet round, then another 12 rounds of 1x1. When they are done I will go out to Mokuba and buy a length of stretchy ribbon to put weave in the eyelet row as a kind of garter to keep them from falling down. I did the same on the Gingerbread stocking as well, and you can see it a little better there than in the darker one.

I'm expecting a very cozy winter what with all these kneesocks...

No comments: