10/24/2006

I Knit in Public.

I knit in public. Partly because I like to knit. I like to knit every chance I get. Also, lectures can get boring. In order to not completely waste my parents money, and to not completely zone out all the time, I knit in class. I knit on the bus. I knit in restaurants. I knit during movies. I knit all the time. Because I knit all the time, I expect people to notice. I've got pointy sticks in string in my hands for godness sakes. I like it when people ask me about it. I like to hear people's stories. I like to change people's ideas about what knitting is. I do not like ignorance.

Today in class I was knitting. At break the guy next to me turned, put his hand on my shoulder and said, "So when are you going to knit me a sweater?" He said this in the kind of way that told me that he had zero clue about what knitting a sweater means. And he invaded my personal space. I mean, I have never seen this guy in my life before. These are the kinds of people who's ideas I want to change. These are also the types of questions that make me not want to take my needles out. I don't like it when people assume that knitting is really easy, lightening fast. That it could be done for everyone. I barely knit for anyone else, much less complete strangers.

But that's my gripe.

I'll still knit in public every single chance I get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So then I guess you then took the opportunity to enlighten him about knitting?

Yvette said...

I get that kind of thing all the time. "Is my scarf ready?" is an hilarious, original one. I think some people are intrigued and confused by KIPing. They're interested but can't get past the "quaint" thing so, they need to make light. Don't worry too much though. There are plenty more people with genuine questions and that's always fun.

Anonymous said...

whose