4/23/2009

Beer+Bands+Burrito+Yarn= A Good Night Out

Do you ever have one of those moments where you sit back, take a look at the knitting and say, "Shit kids, this is going really fast." That was me all last night at Lettuce. I kept putting it down or holding it out and thinking/saying that I couldn't believe how much I had knit. Granted I had a lot of class today, which means a lot of knitting. I even managed to get a few rows in during my painting class, while I literally watched paint dry. Knitting is good for watching paint dry.


But I digress. This was supposed to be a post about how I had no knitting to show since all my stuff was secret, but then I fudged it all up last night. I have two gift projects on the go right now. I've knit these socks all yesterday, but when it came to go to knit night, I realized I couldn't, since the recipient would be there. So I threw the pattern for the other secret knitting in my bag and went on my merry way. Note what's missing there? Yeah, the actual knitting. So I had no choice but to reveal the previously secret knitting to Alexis, therefore negating it's secret status.

It's not that bad, I mean Alexis already knew she was getting socks, she just didn't know what they would look like. She loves them, which is full of yay! for me. And every time I said they were going fast she would say that that was excellent. I guess there's no putting these down now!


After knitting I was feeling a little bummed about school and such (only three more Wednesdays! + a lot more other days...) so I tracked down my friend Ben, who had just finished playing a gig for Christina Maria at the Supermarket in Kensington. I caught the second half of the band Dean Lickyer who were amazing! In a hilarious but also super talented sort of way. When I walked in I thought that they had a cute girl singer, but it turned out to be a boy. In my defence, he has a girl haircut, and is wearing a girl's shirt. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it can cause some confusion. Dude needs to cut his bangs or something.


They were super tight, the lead guy had all sorts of cues for the band on when to do things, which meant that everything was all together, all the time. They put on a good show too, lots of good stage presence. The lead guy danced around the whole time, and the rest of the band were pretty active too, but less so. Understandably, since they had instruments and such. I think they said that they are going on a two month tour, so if you have a chance to check them out, and like oldschool rock, I would recommend it.


After dropping Ben's double bass off at his parents we went to Sneaky Dee's for 2.75 beers and a burrito. Mmmm delicious. Is there anything better?

Oh and ps. I'm definitely digging taking pictures and such, so I've decided that I'm going to go a little more profesh and get a proper DSLR. When I have money. Which will probably be when I move into my parents basement. In July. Dear economy, please get better so that I can be properly moved out. Love, me.

No comments: