Some of you may know this, others may not, but I have just arrived in Britain to do an exchange with Swansea University, in Wales. I'll be here for 7 months doing school and traveling, so this blog is going to get a whole lot more interesting! I'll be posting knitting, traveling and adventures here, and traveling and less shocking adventures at Girl Meets Wales, which is the parent and church friend safe blog. We'll see how I got with updating two blogs!
I arrived at Heathrow very early this morning. My flight was supposed to get in around 9:15am, but actually arrived around 8:30am. Luckily, aside from some shaky business, that was the worst that happened. I was picked up by my friend Edmund, and he drove me back to his house in Drayton, where I am currently staying. The trip from the airport to their house was particularly long due to roadworks (construction) and hedge clipping (actual hedge clipping) which was reducing the two lane roads down to one.
I had lunch with Claire, Edmund's daughter-in-law at her house in Steventon, and saw the farm again, this time as an actual farm. Tomorrow I will go into Oxford, and see an abridged version of Hamlet put on by the all girl's school that Deborah works at.
Now for the important stuff, knitting! I cast on for Ene's Scarf, using Misti Alpaca. I have done a grand total of .... 3 rows! Yay! I some how messed up a few stitch counts here and there, and so had to fudge the numbers on the second pattern row to get it back to normal. It wasn't anything too major, and I just wasn't prepared to rip everything out and cast on those 375 sts again.
I also started a Conwy Sock from Knitting on the Road, in celebration of the fact that I'm going to Wales. The yarn is Socks that Rock in Algae and I am loving these colours. However, as you may notice from this picture, it was too big and needed restarting. I cast on 66 sts instead of 72, which just eliminates one pattern repeat. You have to decrease for the calf anyway, and I don't really like my socks that long, so this way is really better. I'm now back to the same point, but that was a bit of a bummer. I'm hoping the colours pool a bit better in this version. You can kind of see in this picture how they all just stacked up and were creating vertical stripes.